New operational management level on the shop floor
how can it be done?
Implementation of a new management level
700 employees, plastics industry
- New level: Team leaders,
- • Special aspect: were recruited internally, previously skilled workers (qualified and trained), approx. 20 selected team leaders
How do we successfully implement a new operational management level to enable a more sustainable support of the employees, to compensate for drops in performance (especially during the night shift) in a rotating shift system?
- Systematic implementation of the new management function by appropriate job descriptions, an internal, diagnostically valid selection process
- Parallel to this a consistent communication and integration process of the involved internal partners (MB – HR – team leaders)
- Externally accompanied on-the-job qualification process for the new team leaders
Factors for success
- Close cooperation between the HB facilitator (SPU), MB and HR
- Ongoing integration of internal control instruments with the training contents
- Development of new control instruments within the training and subsequent persuasive efforts with MB
- Highly work-related training content
- Regular involvement of the respective heads of department (as they handed over management tasks and are the participants’ internal coaches)
Duration of the project
Particular aspects during the course of the project
Organisational development is always associated with uncertainty and irritations – this was also the case in this example. There were mixed signals from the involved stakeholders, some team leader candidates dropped because they felt overwhelmed – and yet the project crossed its target line.
Successful implementation of the TL level
Improved operational data: Setup processes were optimised, repair times reduced, smoother processes – and thereby significant relief for HDs and MB.
…apart from that
The implementation of a new executive level has an impact on the entire organisation. This is why the consistent (co-)development of the internal interfaces is crucial for the success of this measure.